As much as we love it, the Summer can present new demands on our skin. Wearing less clothing and being out in the sun for longer can mean keeping it healthy and happy takes a little extra care, especially if your skin is sensitive or prone to breakouts or pigmentation.
To help you protect your skin from these challenges, here is a guide to looking after yourself during the summer.
1. Always cleanse your skin really well. You need to thoroughly remove all traces of sweat, sunscreen, excess oils and salts that have risen to the surface with perspiration. If left on the skin these can irritate and block the pores. Warmer weather may change the sebum balance within your skin or you might be wearing less make up. Some prefer to switch to a deep cleansing wash or lotion during the summer. If you would like advice on which cleanser is best for you we are here to help, or you can see our cleansing options here
2. Focus on hydration, the goal is to replenish the moisture that has been lost. Layer your serum and cream and opt for anti-oxidant ingredients such as aloe vera and vitamins C&E combined with Hyaluronic Acid, Shea Butter and Jojoba that help balance pigment and trap moisture in the skin to keep it plump, soft and balanced. Our favourites for summer are The Specialist Serum followed with Hyaluronic Active
3. Apply SPF every day and avoid midday sun, seeking shade or covering up if you can't avoid it. Apply your sunscreen before your clothes to avoid un-protected skin becoming exposed when fabric moves, as it naturally does. Our Oxygenating & Protecting Body Moisturiser is a great option as your daily body moisturiser as it contains SPF20. Be aware, a higher SPF does not necessarily mean superior protection. The level indicates how long it might protect you so re-apply regularly, especially to areas of friction such as the back of the neck. Look for a product that protects against both the UVA and UVB rays. For face we recommend Enhance & Protect.
4. Sun hats create shade for the delicate skin of your face, we always recommend that you keep your face out of direct sunlight to prevent hyper-pigmentation and breakdown of collagen.
5. Keep your eyes protected with sunglasses that offer 100% UV protection, polarization also gives added protection as it reduces glare. This will help reduce squinting that can create head tension and premature ageing lines. If you suffer with puffy, sensitive eyes use a soothing eye cream or gel that incorporates cucumber or aloe vera. Precious Eye Cream is a great option and can be applied to the lips too.
6. Your skin will start to look crepey if you get dehydrated so drink plenty of water. Natural electrolytes such as Coconut water and water melon are a great choice too if you are planning a day at the beach.
7. Monitor your skin, be aware of any changes such as flushing, dryness, breakouts or sensitivities so that you can address them as quickly as possible.
If you do suffer heat rashes, sunburn or irritations Calming & Desensitising Gel is especially effective. This refreshing, lightweight, water based gel provides an invisible protective barrier for sensitive skin and calms, soothes and promotes fast healing for skin that has become damaged.
Remember - Hands and lips where the skin is extremely delicate and therefore vulnerable. Age defying Hand Cream incorporates SPF20 and pigment regulating ingredients.
If you would like personalised advice for summer skin concerns please get in touch. Contact Us.